Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Martian

One of the books I checked out of the library yesterday was The War of the Worlds (1898), by H.G. Wells. He lived in Woking (on Maybury Road, just north of and parallel to the train tracks) when he wrote the story, and much of the novel's action takes place in this general area. In fact, the first Martian cylinder landed on nearby Horsell Common! In honour of the 100th anniversary of publication, The Martian was built in 1998. Here is a closeup of Erin and Chris trying to open the alien pod, but to no avail.

Photobucket

This photo gives you a better view of the pod, as well as the Martian itself. I decided in the fall that this was the perfect setting for our 2007 Christmas card picture, but then I had to wait for Erin to return to actually take it. The horizontal shot was the winner, and the vertical shot was the runner up. Procrastinator that I am (and cheap), cards didn't go in the mail until I was back in the States in January. I wonder what new excuse I'll have for being late in 2008?

Photobucket

Just for good measure, here are a few more shots I took earlier in the month. It was sunny that day!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some of you know how apprehensive I was about this temporary relocation. And Erin and I are glad to currently be home. But I'm also looking forward to my return to Woking. This time it will be a reunion with familiar surroundings, new friends, and - most importantly - Dave and Chris!

No comments: