On Thursday May 29th, we drove from Cardiff, Wales, to Solihull, England (a southeastern suburb of Birmingham). The timing was very appropriate, because it was Dave's mom's birthday, and the reason we went to Solihull was to track down a home of her ancestors. Hillfield Hall was built for William and Ursula Hawes in 1576. It remained in the family until the 1660s, at which time it was owned first by the Feildings, and later by the Greswolds.
More recently, it became a nightclub (1964) and then a restaurant (1974), and now it has been converted into apartments. The main house was divided into 3 units with a total asking price of 2 million pounds (4 million dollars). To the left, with a side entrance, is The Tower.
In the middle is The Manor, and to the right is The Hall. Above the main doorway remains the Latin inscription Hic Hospites in Caelo Cives (Here we are guests, in Heaven citizens), along with the initials of William and Ursula Hawes, and 1576.
Perpendicular to the main house, these existing buildings were also converted into 3 residences. Back when the house was a restaurant, at least some of this property was a bar called The Stable, so you can probably guess its original use....
New housing was built on the rest of the land, for a grand total of 19 units. It would be fun to live there now, but it would be even more exciting to go back in time and see Hillfield Hall in 1576!